Tomorrow evening I present to a group of families who have a child with Down syndrome. I am excited for the experience. The first portion (maybe even half) of my presentation will be engaging the children in experiences on a 1:1 basis as well as in a group. I do not know how many people will be in attendance at this meeting. But, I do know that most of the parents aren’t too aware of music therapy (as was told to me by the family who invited me to speak).
For this reason, I will be breaking the presentation into these pieces:
- Mini music therapy session with the group of children (complete with the therapeutic arc)
- Repeated mini music therapy session with the children’s parents taking the place of the children
- Explanation of some goals I’d have for children in this population
- Explanation of how the experiences I implement targets those goals
- Instruction for parents of one experience that will help generalize and build skills, that they may utilize in the home
I’m looking forward to the event. I’m even looking forward to the fact that there are many mysteries involved.